Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nostalgia Goggles Activate!

Remember when Cartoon Network used to show cartoons? I'm disappointed in seeing them show live-action movies like Spiderman with Toby Maguire. Worse still are Zoids and other similar bullshit like that, cartoons that are more interested in pushing products on kids than being fun.

I remember the good old cartoons I used to watch as a kid. I remember the old Hanna-Barbera cartoon shorts. They tought me valuable life lessons such as: the virtues of justice against the appeal of vigilantism (Quick Draw McGraw), the limitless potential of future technology and artificial intelligence (The Jetsons), personal charisma and persuasive argumentation (Top Cat), the modern criminal justice system (Scooby Doo), laziness versus hard work (Yogi Bear), and sadism (Tom and Jerry).

My favorite cartoon was The Wacky Races. The character Dick Dastardly was my favorite. See, Dick Dastardly was the designated villain of the show. He would always cheat and lay traps for the other hapless drivers. But the most interesting thing about him is that he often manages to get ahead of everyone in the race in order to set his plans in motion. Pay attention. HE GETS AHEAD OF EVERYONE but always TAKES TIME TO CHEAT. I like Dick Dastardly. He could easily win the race hands down with his Mean Machine but what fun is that? Dick Dastardly enjoys living up to his name and being a huge Dick to the other racers. He's doing it just for the lulz and I gotta respect that. His sidekick Muttley also had the best laugh of any cartoon character ever.



I'm gonna find a way to watch classics like these again. Children today don't know what they're missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment