Monday, December 3, 2012

A Storm is Brewing

A typhoon is heading straight through the Philippines in a day or so. Typhoon Pablo is said to be as strong as Typhoon Ruping and has about as much water as Typhoon Sendong according to the local papers. I think its just typical media scaremongering but still, the thought of a typhoon having the combined strength of those two typhoons is frightening.
 
I have hazy memories of Typhoon Ruping. I think I was just a year old when the most devastating typhoon ever in Visayan history pierced through the heart of the Philippines. All I can remember is the terrible howling of the wind outside and the rattling and creaking of the house as if it would soon be torn from it's foundations to be blown away like many of the trees outside. I think I remember the clanking of pots and pans in the kitchen as they were tossed about from the strenth of the winds. Its telling that although I remember very little of my experiences as a child, I can still recall huddling in complete darkness as a storm raged outside.
 
Is Pablo going to be as strong as Ruping? I hope not. Will it have as much rain as Sendong? I really hope not. This house is prone to flooding. What I want to do is buy a whole bunch of sandbags to keep the water from pouring through the door. I think there's some people near the Velez bridge who dig some out from the river to sell. I'm not fully confident it will work but even if it doesn't, its worth a try. But my mother says sandbags are probably expensive. She conceded that there was nothing we could do and that we should just pray. Now, I'm no "angry atheist", but if people's reactions towards impending, foreseeable calamities is to just pray to God instead of doing actual things, its no wonder tragedies keep repeating themselves. This kind of stuff can be seen in social media and forums on websites about the typhoon but I digress.
 
Either way, this aren't looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment