Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Earthquake

Now that classes are over, I can start writing things nobody reads again.

Last Tuesday, October 15, a magnitude seven earthquake struck Bohol. The quake was felt all over Central Visayas including my hometown of Cebu.

I remember waking up early at four o'clock that morning which was highly unusual since I usually get up later at around nine. I took a hike, walking to Banawa and back. It seemed like a normal day. I even thought it would be a good one even since I "started it right" with exercise and breakfast.

At around eight, (8:12 AM according to official news) I was at my computer, as usual, when the tremor started. At first I thought it was a minor thing. After all, very minor earthquakes happen every now and then.

But it didn't stop.

It went on longer than usual and then got much, much stronger. I knew it was serious when I heard the house and all it's contents rattling. The house moaned as the second floor began to sway back and forth. The shaking was more terrible up there as the first floor was concrete but the second was wooden. I remember running into my bathroom thinking that at least the small room seemed solid enough and that half-empty shampoo bottles would hardly become deadly projectiles.

At some point, I must have ran out and opened the door for mom who was banging it and yelling my name. I don't remember doing it but I must have. We both hid in the bathroom.

It seemed to go on forever. The things on my shelves began falling to the floor making a racket. The cover of the air-conditioner fell down with a nerve-wracking bang. Mom kept yelling my name over and over again. I held her arm on one of mine and used my other to hold the door tightly as I stared outside almost incredulous. I didn't know what to do. I just wanted it to be over. 

I couldn't bear hearing my mom yell my name over and over again. It was heart-wrenching as I couldn't do anything to help her. I simply told her to start praying. In retrospect, it was pretty out-of-character of me to do so and more than a bit hypocritical.

After the quake stopped, we made for the staircase. Though, it was finally over, I realized my feet were shaking as if it wasn't. I ran as if I was on the deck of a small boat in choppy waters. As soon as we got out mom began to cry. All the neighbors were out on the basketball court with looks of fear and uncertainty. My cousin and a house helper appeared and we helped mom back inside the house. Mom was hysterical and wouldn't stop crying. We tried to calm her down as best we could, offering her a drink of water. It would be some time before we got back to normal.

Bed-ridden, grandpa slept through it all. To our horror, we found out that his bed, which had no wheels, couldn't fit through the door, neither could the extra bed on the side. A wheelchair was out of the question. Exhausted, we decided that if ever it came to the worst, we would have to carry him out.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. That earthquake was the longest thirty seconds in my life. It's amazing that this old house didn't even seem to be damaged. It would seem termites would get this house before an earthquake would.

What a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment