Monday, June 11, 2012

Back From Singapore

I just came from Singapore to visit a friend and do a bit of sightseeing. What a strange place that was.

Singapore is like some kind of "anti-Philippines" bizarro land. People obey the rules, the government is competent and actually enforces them and it's so damn clean. It's strange but seeing a society run so well makes me feel nauseous. It's like something I can never get over and believe. People actually lining up in an orderly fashion, can you believe that shit? Also, no gum allowed... and drug traffickers get sentenced to death. Also, as I observed, the government is fond of penalizing stuff it doesn't like; For example, too much traffic in an area? Tax every car that passes by. Too many cars? Make new cars ridiculously hard to get. Never liked that approach but can't argue with the results. The people seem cool with it.

Despite it all, I must say that their brand of softcore authoritarianism kind of grew on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment