Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year Resolution

I made a list of New Year resolutions; one of which was to go to bed earlier. The trouble is, I slept at around 1:30 AM this morning, January 01.

Does this mean that I broke that resolution instantly when the new year began since I was not asleep when the clock struck 12? But isn't it also correct to argue that since the proper bedtime would have been on December 31, thus falling on the last year, I could not have broken the resolution since the new year had not begun and the said resolution had not yet begun to take effect and become binding?

However, the point of the resolution is to avoid sleep deprivation and to be well-rested. Since obviously, I am not well rested right now, can it be said that I had failed and broken the resolution? Perhaps it is not wise to assume intent and it would be prudent to stick to the proposed action of "sleeping early". If that is the case, then my state of sleep deprivation would be irrelevant and the resolution is still ongoing.

What is early? The standards of "early" have changed drastically in modern times. Is the common bedtime of children even applicable to adults like me? Of course not. Isn't it also true that different people have different work schedules and sleep in odd hours during the day instead of night? It is clear that the standard of "early" differs from person to person. Therefore, "early" is unique to the person and should be assessed on a case to case basis.

In my case, I usually sleep in between the hours of 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM. "Early" in this case would have to be at least two hours earlier; 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM would suffice.

But as previously stated, I slept at 1:30 AM this morning. That's way earlier than 9:00 PM! Wow, in that case, I'm doing pretty good.

I'm tired.



No comments:

Post a Comment